Monday, January 28, 2008

Are you gonna see it?

Well, where to begin. All I can say is, you never know what a child is going to say OR the thought process behind it.
We had a death in family over the weekend. My great aunt Gladys passed away on Saturday. Kennedy didn't quite know how to take it. She at first was pretty upset. She got a little misty, and began to talk about what a nice lady she was and that she thought aunt Gladys was pretty. Then, you could see the wheels begin to turn.
We talked about death briefly and then we went over to our Granny's house. There, she gave Granny her most heartfelt condolences and assured her she would be at the funeral. I on the other hand did not think her attendance was such a great idea. I told her she would be in school and that she couldn't go. Needless to say, she WAS NOT happy.
"But mom! I promised Granny I would be there! She is going to be so upset with me!"
Once again, I assured her everything would be fine and Granny would understand.
So, flash forward to tonight. The viewing. Once again, Kennedy couldn't go. But she did have a very serious set of questions for me.
"Mom, is there like going to be the dead body there?"
"Yes."
"Are you gonna see it?"
"Yes"
"How close are you gonna get to it?"
"I don't know. Pretty close I guess."
(Here is where she thought for just a minute and then says......)
"Can you touch it? I wonder what it feels like. Is it real or fake?"
"Um, no. I don't think I'll touch it Ken."
"Why not mom? I don't think she'll even know. I don't think she'd care."
"You're probably right. But I don't think I'm gonna touch her."
"Huh, ok mom. If I went could I touch her?"
"No"
"Why?"
"Because I said so"
"But....."
"Because I said so.."
Seriously, this went on for like 10 more minutes. I'm not really sure where the morbid obsession came from. She was bent on touching a corpse! Geez!! Maybe she'll grow up to be a mortician?

3 comments:

Missy-O said...

Big hugs to your family. I'm sorry Kitty.

Your daughter rocks.

Sharon said...

Hey Krista! I was just looking around myspace and clicked on your new picture (new to me, hadn't noticed it before) and saw your blog! I'm glad to find you out here in the blogging world too! I love it! You have some GREAT stories on here! I had fun reading your blog!

Dallas said...

That Kennedy!! You gotta love that kid!!